Toni Gaeta – Ivy Tech- East Chicago Campus – 2017 Chorizo Contest
Prep Time: 15 min.
Start to Finish: 45 min.
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ¼ Nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¼ cup brown sugar
- Oil from cooking 2 sticks of chorizo
- Enough vegetable oil to make ⅔ cup oil when combined with chorizo oil
- 1 cup of Pumpkin puree
- 1 cup of cooked chorizo (1 stick (6oz) original chorizo and 1 stick (6oz) mild chorizo)
- Cook chorizo and drain out the oil and save.
- Place the chorizo and oil to the side.
- Combine your brown sugar and oil (from chorizo) and mix until smooth.
- Add your eggs and pumpkin puree.
- Add all your dry ingredients together and slowly add to wet mixture.
- Stir in the chorizo.
- Use a standard sized cookie scoop. Scoop even portions of batter onto a lined sheet tray, spaced 1 inch apart.
- Bake at 350 for about 11 minutes.
- Allow to cool and match up tops and bottoms. Use a piping bag or a spatula to spread the filling onto one side of the whoopie pie. Sandwich the top and bottom.
- Dust them with powdered sugar if you would like.
Maple Brown Sugar Filling
- 2 sticks Salted Butter
- ½ Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Flour
- 1 lb. Powdered Sugar
- Syrup Pure Maple to taste
- Milk as you need
- Combine butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add flour and sugar.
- Add syrup till you get your desired flavor.
Add milk until you get desired consistency.