Chester March – 2012 Ivy Tech – Chorizo Contest
Prep Time: 15-30 min.
Start to Finish: 1.5 Hours
6 – 8oz Servings
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ cup onions, chopped
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- ¼ cup mushrooms, chopped
- ¼ cup carrots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- ½ package El Popular Chorizo (Original)
- 2 cups, milk scalded
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- ½ Mexican Dark Beer or Senorial Flavored Sangria Carbonated Beverage
- Unsalted pretzel sticks or bread sticks for garnish
- In a heavy sauce pan over medium heat sweat the vegetables in butter, do not brown.
- Add dry mustard and cayenne pepper.
- Add 2 cups of broth. Cook until vegetable are tender. Puree the ingredients add the remaining 2 cups.
- Cook the chorizo in a skillet, drain and add to the vegetable mixture.
- Scald the milk in a small pot.
- Add cheese to melt. Then add to soup
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Add beer or sangria and heavy cream.
- Ladle into bowls add top with garnishes of your choice.