- 1 lb Elbow macaroni
- 2 oz Flour
- 4 oz Butter
- 1 qt Milk
- 4 oz Yellow onion, small dice
- 4 oz Green bell pepper, small dice
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 pkg (12 oz) El Popular “Mild” Chorizo
- 1 lb Mexican shredded cheese blend
- 4 oz Nacho flavored tortilla chips
- 1/2 tbsp Crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt (to taste)
- White pepper (to taste)
- Cook macaroni according to standard methods for boiling pasta. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 oz. of the butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and sauté until tender. Add Chorizo (remove casing), garlic and lime juice, breaking up the chorizo and cooking the chorizo until it has released its juices cook about 7 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 oz. of the butter over low heat. Add the flour and cook for 4-5 minutes. Flour and butter mixture should have a nutty aroma.
- Slowly pour in milk, beating constantly.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked macaroni noodles, milk sauce, crushed red pepper, cheese, and chorizo mixture. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Pour into a greased half-hotel pan.
- In a food processor, make a coarse crumb with the nacho flavored tortilla chips. Evenly top macaroni mixture with nacho chip crumb. Melt the remaining 1 oz. of butter and pour over the nacho chip crumb.
- Bake at 350 F for 15-20 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!